.caol ila - 18yo

Sometimes I am sipping a Caol Ila on the shores of the island of Islay. My feet dipped in the ocean, the heat from a fire roasting a good local beef nearby, the smoke coming from the Port Ellen maltings filling the air around me, just enough not to bother or overwhelm me. Too bad I then open my eyes and realise it is all in my head again. A good thing this is in my glass...

43% abv, €105, single malt

Nose: sweet, honey, liquorice, mint, a hint of eucalyptus, a whiff of smoke, floral, heather, fresh herbs, rosemary, marjoram, basil
Palate: sweet, creamy, salted butter, baking grease, gravy, tobacco leaves, smoke, wood, burning oak, herbs, basil, sage
Finish: long, herbal, slightly dry, smoky, sweet, honey, floral, honeysuckle, heather
Mark: +++++ 

Conclusion: As far as you can get good Caol Ila whiskies, this is it. Good. Very good. Well made, not overly peaty, a touch of sweetness, greatly balanced. That price-tag though... not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.