.port ellen - 12th release

52,5% abv, €999, single malt

Nose: at first there is beeswax accompanied by wood, then there is the sweet fruity smell of apples and soft, perfectly ripe mangos, lots of toffee and caramel, malted barley, wash, the slightest hint of ash, grass, bacon, citrus fruits, especially sweet, red grapefruit.
Palate: she has a spicy and fat mouth feel reminding me of white pepper, a creamy, sugar-sweet layer coats the palate followed by fresh green herbs such as basil and especially sage.
Finish: dry and long finish. A sweet sugar on the lips and palate stay for a while, green herbs - again the sage, and a slight note of smoke and ash. After a while I get a taste of wash again. Lovely.
Mark: +++/++

Conclusion: Really nice, but… for me, this is not something I would easily pay a lot of money for, other then that it is a collectible and rare bottle that might sell for a larger amount of money in the future. I like to buy my whiskies to drink, and although it is very nice, I think it is not worth the money.

More info: 12th release, 1979-2012, bottle #0426 of 2964

Tasted at the distillery manager’s tour at the Lagavulin distillery, May 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.